Welcome to my 'other blog' the one that explores my crafty side. I have been a maker of 'things' since childhood. By nature I'm creative. I still love to write, and you can click on this link to visit my blog: Hanging On My Word, which is where I indulge in the thought and word side. Although a teacher by profession, I don't offer tutorials. This is my showcase of projects I like to share. So pull aside the curtains and let's begin (I'm a bit theatrical too!).

Sunday, 14 August 2016

Something For Nothing

This is a vintage Monsoon labels dress, which I tracked down in some charity shop or other about ten years ago, when it was probably already old. The colours were still vibrant and, as it was 100% cotton, it was a perfect ‘cool’ wear for the hot Lanzarote summers.


Then I went and lost 2.5 stones in weight (about 16 kilos); amazing what retirement does for a healthy lifestyle. I hacked away at the material and preserved the best bits - mostly the voluminous skirt- with the intention of making something with it a later stage. It languished in a drawer until recently, when I thought of trying to make a simple bolero/jacket. I drew round my daughter’s shop-bought model, and made a pattern for the front (two pieces) and the back (one), and here it is!


Eight years since the first pics - older, wiser, slimmer, wrinklier (me) and still vibrant and useful (the jacket), but also me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment