Welcome to my 'other blog' the one that explores my crafty side. I have been a maker of 'things' since childhood. By nature I'm creative. I still love to write, and you can click on this link to visit my blog: Hanging On My Word, which is where I indulge in the thought and word side. Although a teacher by profession, I don't offer tutorials. This is my showcase of projects I like to share. So pull aside the curtains and let's begin (I'm a bit theatrical too!).

Saturday, 23 May 2015

The Mouse and His Child

 No, not the very wonderful book by Russell Hoban, but knitted toys made from a pattern by Amanda Berry of Fluff and Fuzz.


It appeared in issue 67 of  'Let’s Get Crafting: Knitting and Crochet’ (LGKC)  magazine which was passed on to me so I didn’t have the ‘Jazz’ yarn kit which came with it originally. I matched the colours from scraps left over from previous LGCKC projects.

Amanda herself says that Baby Mouse was her favourite creature to make of all her projects in that issue.  First of all I applaud he for using the word ‘creature’ and not ‘critter’ - which seems to be the way all animals are now described in craft magazines on both sides of the Pond, often preceded by ‘cute’. I have no problem with the word ‘cute’ and I use it myself quite happily, but combined with ‘critter’ it makes me want to scream out loud....and sometimes I do!

 Amanda includes a mother mouse, and I suppose if you were inclined you could go on and knit any number of baby mice wearing different coloured outfits. I may do so one day, but for now I am happy to settle with father and child, a unique bond that will be celebrated next month on Father’s Day. I didn’t give the Baby Mouse buttoned braces and I hope that by using both pink and blue the gender will remain indeterminate. In Russell Hoban’s book the child is male. Find them also on my Ravelry Page.




“What are we Papa?” the toy mouse asked his father. “I don’t know," the father answered . “We must wait and see.

'So begins the story of a tin father and son who dance under a Christmas tree until they break the ancient clockwork rules and are themselves broken. Thrown away, then rescued from a dustbin and repaired by a tramp, they set out on a dangerous quest for a family and a place of their own - the magnificent dolls house, the plush elephant and the tin seal they had once known in the toy shop.  

(Blurb from the Faber Childrens Classic edition)


4 comments:

  1. They look very sweet on the sideboard in our living room

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are adorable Marilyn! So sweet, and love the last photo. Know what you mean about overused craft lingo - do my best to steer clear of 'cute' if I can, though have occasionally fallen into the 'critter' trap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so creative, Nell! I really will have to look for this book! I've got loads of spare wool and ripped down again sweaters etc, in an array of colours that need to be used. Bags of the buggers!

    I'm looking towards a McMillan Cancer coffee morning, September 25th, and wine and woolly night on the 26th, where a few of us are knitting crazy stuff for sale. I've already made a start on a book by Jenny Occles but I'd really love to give the above mice a go! How adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute indeed, and they look tiny.

    ReplyDelete