Welcome to my 'other blog' the one that explores my crafty side. I have been a maker of 'things' since childhood. By nature I'm creative. I still love to write, and you can click on this link to visit my blog: Hanging On My Word, which is where I indulge in the thought and word side. Although a teacher by profession, I don't offer tutorials. This is my showcase of projects I like to share. So pull aside the curtains and let's begin (I'm a bit theatrical too!).

Tuesday, 12 August 2014

Heart to Heart


My friend Pamela and I often have a heart-to-heart and when she moved house recently I made her these hanging decorations for her new dining area. Pam has a good eye for colour and co-ordinates fabric and accessories to great effect. Here in Lanzarote many of the dining rooms are situated in the outside shaded areas, a cool place to sit away from the always sunny weather we enjoy here. Pam had decorated hers with a winning combination of red, white and blue and, knowing my love for sewing, had given me the remnants from the soft-furnishing she had commissioned, to add to my stash.

Some of the pieces were quite small, but I thought that the best way to combine the colours was with a crazy patchwork effect.

I simply laid them out rectangles of the fabric and stitched them into several long pieces pieces first of all. Then I joined the long pieces but ‘staggered' the joins to create a random pattern.

Next the four hearts were drawn on on the reverse of the fabric and stitched along the drawn outline, leaving a small hole for stuffing.

The two hearts were then turned inside-out and trimmed closely around the edge, leaving a small seam allowance and clipping in to ensure that the curved edges were smooth.

All that was left was to add the trimmings, buttons, loop and ribbon, so that they were ready to hang.

My friend was delighted and we had great fun trying them out in several places to see where they worked best.









3 comments:

  1. These are so sweet! I like how you made them so that they could hang, like tree ornaments. I enjoy making stuffed hearts and like to embroidery around the outside of them. I left a lot of them for the kids, they use them as bean bags and are just right for little hands.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The rest of the room is so bright and cheerful! What a pleasant place to enjoy a meal and relax.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course, your friend was very happy with these hearts. Who the hell would not appreciate?

    ReplyDelete