Welcome to my 'other blog' the one that explores my crafty side. I have been a maker of 'things' since childhood. By nature I'm creative. I still love to write, and you can click on this link to visit my blog: Hanging On My Word, which is where I indulge in the thought and word side. Although a teacher by profession, I don't offer tutorials. This is my showcase of projects I like to share. So pull aside the curtains and let's begin (I'm a bit theatrical too!).

Thursday, 17 July 2014

Just Dandy!



Meet the new kid on the block. I’m honing my novice knitting skills by making these small projects from Let’s Get Crafting: Knitting and Crochet magazine. He’s designed by the talented Amanda Berry of Fluff and Fuzz.

In the magazine Amanda’s pattern is called Pipsqueak, but I’ve re-named mine Dandy. This partly because his yellow bow-tie makes him look so smart and ...dandy; but also his little red clown nose makes him look slightly comical. Dandy, the much-loved children’s comic, ceased publication after 75 years in 2012, so this is a kind of homage to that as well.

He took me a lot longer than any of the Bramble Bunny variations in my previous posts, and I’ve no idea why as the principle is pretty similar. I had some trouble with his mouse-ears and made several rather ragged looking ones until, eventually I gave in and got the crochet hook out - perfect.

Here he is with his new friends Wanda and Wendy. Yes I know, in real-life a mouse is so much tinier than a rabbit but we don’t talk about scale when it comes to making toys; after all, in real life rabbits and mice don’t wear clothes either!! These are designed to be cute and to make children want them as friends. Just Dandy!




6 comments:

  1. He's the first of the series I haven't name, but it's a good choice. Hello Dandy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your mouse! And Dandy is a brilliant name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coming from the designer that is praise indeed!

      Delete
  3. Dandy is just Dandy! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And charmful they are! All Three!

    ReplyDelete