Welcome to my 'other blog' the one that explores my crafty side. I have been a maker of 'things' since childhood. By nature I'm creative. I still love to write, and you can click on this link to visit my blog: Hanging On My Word, which is where I indulge in the thought and word side. Although a teacher by profession, I don't offer tutorials. This is my showcase of projects I like to share. So pull aside the curtains and let's begin (I'm a bit theatrical too!).

Monday, 16 June 2014

Flirty Fans




Finished at last! I saw this pattern in the very first Simply Crochet magazine, when it came out as a one-off Summer Special last year from the makers of Simply Knitting. It has taken me about a year to make as at one stage I got so fed-up with it I thrust it to the back of the cupboard until I could face it again. Checking on Ravelry it seems others have also had issues with the pattern. I found it quite difficult to follow. I have pulled back and re-done bits of it so many times that I really fell out of love with it. However, I was determined not to beaten, especially as I had lashed out on the (expensive) correct yarn.

Rowan Savannah is 94% cotton, 6% silk and not the smoothest yarn to work with due to the way that is made. I used a 4mm and 5mm crochet hook and my tension square made up OK so I wasn’t anticipating any problems - silly me. Once it was complete I decided the bow on the shoulder was too ‘fussy’ so I undid that too. The neckline didn’t lie smoothly and I ended up fudging it quite a bit. Other than that I still like the design and the colour (Arid - a sort of pinky brown).
The pattern is designed by Rowan’s Marie Wallin and also appears in a Rowan booklet as ‘Island’; the name Flirty Fans seems appropriate, although at times I substituted the word ‘flirty' for another!



5 comments:

  1. With all those holes, it certainly qualifies as FLIRTY! LOL. You wear it well, Marilyn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's become beautiful! You got the job done very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good and like a LOT of WORK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds tricky!! Well done for seeing it through, looks great on you x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh it's lovely and you look gorgeous. Well done you! xx

    ReplyDelete