Welcome to my 'other blog' the one that explores my crafty side. I have been a maker of 'things' since childhood. By nature I'm creative. I still love to write, and you can click on this link to visit my blog: Hanging On My Word, which is where I indulge in the thought and word side. Although a teacher by profession, I don't offer tutorials. This is my showcase of projects I like to share. So pull aside the curtains and let's begin (I'm a bit theatrical too!).

Friday, 18 April 2014

They Don’t Grow on Trees!


Here is my Easter Tree decorated with crocheted eggs. I first saw the pattern in Simply Crochet Magazine issue three last year, but had trouble sourcing the styrofoam eggs here in Lanzarote. This year there were plenty to be had quite cheaply; a couple of euros for 4-6. The only problem was which size to get. In the original pattern, by talented Jane Crowfoot, it called for one “approx 8cm (3in) from centre top to centre bottom (from www.purplelindacrafts.co.uk)”.  If you order from that supplier the eggs are listed as either 4.5 cm for £0.26 or 8cm for £0.44. What you need are eggs that are about the same size as a hen’s egg, sold here in packs listed as 4.5.cm.





The yarn listed was Rico DK cotton; again not available here. I experimented with the larger egg size and some DK yarn scraps. It just didn’t look right, so the next step was to find some brightly coloured cotton yarns.


Here in Lanzarote we have a number of huge supermarket style shops which sell everything you never knew you needed, mostly  ‘Made in China'. You know the kind of thing, you go in looking for something specific, like a dustpan, and come out with a trolleyload of items you just know are going to come in handy.




These places stocked rows and rows of crochet threads, which I worked out needed to be No5, so I treated myself to a range of bright colours and one or two random dyes (the effect of which can be seen in the baby-pink and blue bottom left, and the russet and cream (right) of the first picture.



Of course I only needed a little for each egg, but the rest have gone into my stash for future projects.

Next year I’ll start hooking earlier and then I can have a bowlful on the dining table or in my  bunny eggcups.









Here’s the wonderful display that caught my eye in the magazine. If you go to Jane’s website you can buy the larger kits with all materials (except hook) for just £8.95.

We first became interested in the custom of decorated Easter trees when we lived in Germany in the 1980s with two small children. Some of the items on my other tree date from that time, and others have been added over the years.

In Germany whole trees are decorated with hundreds of hollow eggs, but often a branch is brought indoors to add to the decorations in the home. Not just eggs, but chicks, rabbits, indeed anything related to Spring. Below is this year’s arrangement.



For other Easter crafts related posts of mine click on Chirpy Chicks, and Easter Eggstra, or go to my other website and read about Easter Expectations.

2 comments:

  1. Your crocheted eggs ar bright and colorful. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these Marilyn, definitely have a go at them next year, and sweet decorations on your Easter tree.

    ReplyDelete