Welcome to my 'other blog' the one that explores my crafty side. I have been a maker of 'things' since childhood. By nature I'm creative. I still love to write, and you can click on this link to visit my blog: Hanging On My Word, which is where I indulge in the thought and word side. Although a teacher by profession, I don't offer tutorials. This is my showcase of projects I like to share. So pull aside the curtains and let's begin (I'm a bit theatrical too!).

Sunday, 17 February 2013

Chirpy Chicks

I thought I'd get ahead with some small craft projects for Easter. Last year it passed me by without me making these Easter Chicks. I've had the pattern for ages as it was given to me by my Mum, who found them in her 'Yours' Magazine. If you'd like to make them yourself, the pattern is now available free online here.

The chicks have a secret, as they are big enough to conceal a creme egg. I used a real one to demonstrate, which also shows of course that they make neat little egg cosies if you like your breakfast eggs boiled.


I like to make things whilst watching television in the evening. The trouble is I sometimes lose concentration and make a mistake. With something so small and practical I don't bother unpicking it. (See 'A Mistake is an Unpicking Opportunity') They're ideal for using up any oddments of yarn too. I made the nest from some strange bits of brown fabric/yarn I had. I thought they deserved one each.

I think I like them better than the ones in my Easter Eggstra post from two years ago, but which do you prefer?


I'm updating this post after the Easter break, so that I can show some pictures of how the chicks were received by the twins.  I made an extra one for a friend's granddaughter and although she was shy I could tell she was pleased. Her Mum, pictured with her, reported that she loves it.









My own granddaughter looks serious in this photo, but there was much fun to be had at the Easter party too.










My grandson thinks there's room for both chicks in one nest!

I was delighted to see that my granddaughter was wearing the jumper I crocheted for her last more than a year ago in 'Two For The Price of One', and it shows how much she's grown!

There's also a story attached to my grandson's blue bunny, originally made for his Daddy 33 years ago and still treasured. You can read that story in 'A Makeover For Blue Bunny'.


Find more of my Easter craft posts on They Don’t Grow on Trees and Easter Eggstra.

5 comments:

  1. These are darling! What a cute gift too.

    I used to make things while watching t.v., but now I hold my book. I don't always read it, but it is handy just in case.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet!!!!! I love chicks!!!!! They'd make a wonderful gift X

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the ladies at playgroup used to make something similar - for ALL the kids at Easter. I like the new version but last year's make me smile too, with their little dangly legs and kissy faces!

    I always end up blogging in front of the telly and then annoying my husband by asking 'what's going on?' and 'who's that?' all the time.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are so sweet! And love the little nests.
    I like knitting in front of the telly, but have had to stop during subtitled danish dramas - just too tricky! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your egg cosies are so cute. I'm sure they will go down really well at Easter.

    ReplyDelete