Welcome to my 'other blog' the one that explores my crafty side. I have been a maker of 'things' since childhood. By nature I'm creative. I still love to write, and you can click on this link to visit my blog: Hanging On My Word, which is where I indulge in the thought and word side. Although a teacher by profession, I don't offer tutorials. This is my showcase of projects I like to share. So pull aside the curtains and let's begin (I'm a bit theatrical too!).

Wednesday, 5 September 2012

My New Look


A lovely new sundress made using New Look 6557. This was an easy pattern to make up and I chose option B from the designs on the front, also worn by the model. It fits very well, except for the usual problem with crossover bodices with a tiny gapping at the cleavage. Everything was measured before cutting but the right bra ususally solves the problem. To be extra sure I like to wear a pretty brooch at the crossover point. Next time I make the pattern up I may choose one of the other bodice designs.
The fabric had been sitting in my stash for about ten years so it was definitely time to use it. It's a pretty poly cotton chosen mainly because I seemed to have rather a lot of it and the circular skirt requires cutting on the cross. I also made the tie belt, which is really just an adornment and serves no useful purpose. The picture was taken in a friend's garden which overlooks the Bocaina Straits here in Lanzarote. The island of Fuereventura is visible in the background.





Also showing this at 'Ta-dah Tuesday' on Lakota's Faith, Hope and Charity Shopping blog

11 comments:

  1. It turned out beautifully! You look great. I like those "halter top" kinds of dresses.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look lovely, it's a great style on you. I love the version in red on the cover of the pattern too. Amazing view behind you too x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look fabulous, that dress is stunning and so are you and the glorious Spanish sunshine! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, thanks for following the link on Ta-Dah! Tuesday and leaving a comment on my blog (was that already a week ago?!) This dress looks so cool and summery. Good for you for using some of your stash (I keep buying more fabric instead of using what I have).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know I've said this before, but you are so clever. Wish I could make myself a frock!
    Jennie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks wonderful. Don't you love sewing. I've been sewing since I was a little girl and my Nana let me play with her button box.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic dress and you look great in it. I used to sew all the time. I can't remember when I used my sewing machine for anything other than a ripped seam.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great dress! I can't sew so I don't really know why I looked at this blog Marilyn - just out of interesr really. The patterns remind me of my mum making my clothes, something she always loved to do but I never seemed to inherit the knack! Love the view, incidentally (I assume it's from your house)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely dress, and you made it, bravo! You look so pretty and the dress is perfect for a warm climate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! You are a wonderful seamstress! You don't want to know anything about my sewing-prowess, or lack thereof. Trust me. (Unless you want a really good laugh.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look fantastic, and your dress is so lovely! I wish I had your talent; I can hardly sew a button on! :)

    ReplyDelete