Welcome to my 'other blog' the one that explores my crafty side. I have been a maker of 'things' since childhood. By nature I'm creative. I still love to write, and you can click on this link to visit my blog: Hanging On My Word, which is where I indulge in the thought and word side. Although a teacher by profession, I don't offer tutorials. This is my showcase of projects I like to share. So pull aside the curtains and let's begin (I'm a bit theatrical too!).

Thursday, 3 May 2012

Viewing By Appointment



























When the theme of ‘Small’ was mooted over at Sepia Saturday, I knew I’d have to feature my old dolls' house in a post. I’ve always been fascinated by the world of miniatures, and we were posted to Germany in 1982, my husband made this 1:12 scale dolls' house for me as a joint project. We would later visit dolls house fairs in UK when I was really in the grip of this hobby. I made many of the tiny objects and pieces of furniture, including the dolls (the kits had the heads and limbs and the rest was my own work. Jean Greenhowe’s book., “Making a Victorian Dollshouse” gave me lots of ideas. I wish I’d kept the book, especially when I see the price it demands on ebay.


I also made a miniature shop, which now reminds me of the ones I featured in ‘Open All Hours’ in my other blog.



The dolls' house didn’t move with us to Lanzarote, but I did keep the dolls and most of the small items and these are being looked after by my son until the grandchildren can appreciate them. My daughter had a Lundby dolls' house as a child, but I think that was passed on to someone else, just like my lovely bungalow, (handmade by my parents’ friend) which I spent hours playing with.





Ten years ago I found a rather battered dolls house at a huge car boot sale and bought it for £20 for my great niece. I renovated it with wallpaper, roof paper, etc. and fitted it with carpets. These photos show the fun the family had with it that Christmas.  Our niece and my sister-in-law were itching to get in on the act. On my other blog, you can see some more miniature worlds, in U.K. and Lanzarote.















See what other Sepia Saturday participants have come up with after seeing the prompt below.




7 comments:

  1. Wow! what a labor of love. Your doll house looks fantastic. And to think you made a lot of the things in it.
    I fell in love with doll houses when I saw the silent screen star, Colleen Moore's, at the Chicago Art Institute. What an elaborate house that was.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your dollhouse, and I like the shop even better. I was tempted to make miniature furnishings for a dollhouse but never did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't remember my daughter ever having a doll's house. If there was one it hasn't survived.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've sent this link to my sister who bought a doll house at a yard sale and has yet to start the renovations. I want her to hurry and start on it -- it looks like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I bet you wish that you still had it! What a beautiful "home". My Aunt made one and had if full of stuff like yours and I always wanted to get into that scene but never have. The one that you found for your niece is way cool!

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isobel inherited a doll's house ten or so years ago. It is stored away in the garage - waiting to see if Alexander ever produced grandchildren for us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your dollhouse, I always wanted to do one of these myself but too many hobbies and too little time!

    ReplyDelete