Welcome to my 'other blog' the one that explores my crafty side. I have been a maker of 'things' since childhood. By nature I'm creative. I still love to write, and you can click on this link to visit my blog: Hanging On My Word, which is where I indulge in the thought and word side. Although a teacher by profession, I don't offer tutorials. This is my showcase of projects I like to share. So pull aside the curtains and let's begin (I'm a bit theatrical too!).

Thursday, 10 May 2012

Life Below Stairs

Following on from the last post ‘Viewing by Appointment’ which featured my 1:12 scale Dolls’ House, I’ve homed in on the kitchen in order to show a little more detail. Over at Sepia Saturday, there’s a photo prompt of Queen Victoria’s kitchen, with a magnificent kitchen range. I don’t think she personally actually did any food preparation there though. Unfortunately these photographs of my old dolls’ house were taken before the benefit of a digital camera and as I no longer have the Dolls’ House, I can’t reproduce them. I’m sorry they’re a little grainy, but I hope you enjoy looking at the Cook of the household and her rather cluttered kitchen. The kitchen range was made from a kit which I had to glue together and paint with modelling enamel. It was much easier to make it appear shiny, than real life ranges, which some poor kitchen maid would have spent her time blackleading.

The kitchen sink was a Belfast Sink on brick piers and I remember cost quite a bit at the time.


'Mrs Bridges’ was made from a porcelain doll kit. The head, arms and feet were ceramic and the body and clothes pattern pieces had to be sewn, stuffed, hemmed  or finished otherwise appropriately. The cat was there to catch the mice of course.

This was probably the room I most enjoyed putting together, because of all the tiny details. Some items I bought and others I made. I also made use of ‘found’ items, like the perfume sample phials which beacme storage jars. Living in Germany, close to the Dutch border, at the time, also meant I could take advantage of tiny items found in the shops there, such as the coffee grinder.

And just for fun. Here are some kitchens courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.

The first is from the Museum Boxenstop, Tübingen and shows quite a large doll’s kitchen, probably based on the Nürenberg Kitchens were designed as ‘teaching aid’.

Photograph by Markus Nägele.) CC-BY-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)]
                                    
                                                    One from Strasbourg: The Musée Alsacien 
By Christina from Victoria, Canada (Musée Alsacien) [CC-BY-2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)],
                
           A 1928 Dolls’ House kitchen from the Österreichisches Museum für Volkskunde
By Photo: Andreas Praefcke (Own work) Public domain
                          
                          And from the German National Toy Museum, Nürenberg
 I, Sailko CC-BY-SA-3.0 (www.creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)] 
Do go and visit this week’s Sepia Saturday to see what the prompt has generated in contributors’ kitchens across the world.


11 comments:

  1. That's a lot of care and love that you put into your dollhouse. You did a beautiful job. You might not have had the help of 1600 artisans to put yours together (as the ones in Postcardy's post) but I'm sure yours was loved just as much as Princess Mary's opulent dollhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nell, oh, this is the neatest post! The kitchen you put together for Mrs. Bridges is beautiful. I had to enlarge the pictures to look for the sink, but it does look mighty fine. I enjoyed the other kitchens that you found for us too; I wish that I had a dollhouse.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your dollhouse kitchen. I must have been a lot of fun making it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder if there is a gene that draws us to certain pursuits : collecting, storing, filing, organising. If I was a girl I suspect I would have been a lover of doll's houses : yours is very impressive indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in awe. I bet part of the fun was the challenge of finding miniature thises and thats.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to remind myself several times that I was looking at a dolls' house and not a real kitchen. We still have real Belfast sink on brick piers in our Utility Room. I was very impressed that your house was so detailed that you could see the watertap over the sink.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm impressed with your dollhouse - so many neat and interesting features. You did a great job assembling it. Looking at all of the dollhouse pictures reminds of the "I Spy" childrens books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love looking at doll houses and your's was grand. I'm envious because I have never built one. l posted last week about doll houses that used to be housed at the Knott's Berry Farm amusement park in Buena Park, California. Alas they are no longer there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those furniture and pieces put together with painstaking precision had the true value and essence of a doll's house. For me, I think they started to lose their appeal from the 70's. It's such a shame that the house is no longer here but I have thoroughly enjoyed talking a walk through the rooms via the snaps!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The level of detail in your kitchen is amazing. wow. Thanks so much for sharing your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fabulous dolls house! I do love dolls houses, and could look at the different ones for ages. I assume you've seen the ones in the Museum of Childhood in London?

    ReplyDelete