|Should have worn my shades!|
Well, needless to say I was pretty pleased with the result. This pattern is popular and has been well-reviewed by others bloggers, so I won’t go into great detail, except to say that it was so easy to make, and I love not having to fit a zip. I made sure I cut out the pieces carefully, attached the correct needle for stretch fabrics to my machine and used the recommended stitch.
I’ve got some lovely plain lime green fabric to make the tunic top next.I was going to make it with the bow, but I’m not sure; it looks rather bulky. Watch this space, but this is a pattern to which I’ll definitely return.
There’s another element to this story, because the pattern was originally given away with SEW magazine. I’d been a subscriber since issue 1 and lapsed for a few months when we moved here, re-subscribing and ordering back copies, a few months ago. Some issues were sold out so I turned to ebay, where again this issue was in short supply; when I finally bagged one, the seller sent it with the wrong pattern, but she let me keep the magazine at no cost, and finally a very kind seller sold me the pattern separately, along with the final few magazines to complete the set. Yes, I could have bought the pattern at full price, but half the fun was the search and winning the auction. So thanks to Jane at madaboutbooks8!
An update is needed as I was excited to see see that ‘The Great British Sewing Bee' on BBC TV was setting the challenge of sewing with stretch fabrics this week (5th March 2014) and that the remaining male competitor had chosen this very pattern as his piece to demonstrate his sewing skills. He made a lovely job of it and stayed in the running - until next week at least. As I wrote earlier, it’s a very popular pattern and there are many examples on the web. I still haven’t made my top as I have been busy with other projects, but I may just have ago now after seeing the pattern again.