Welcome to my 'other blog' the one that explores my crafty side. I have been a maker of 'things' since childhood. By nature I'm creative. I still love to write, and you can click on this link to visit my blog: Hanging On My Word, which is where I indulge in the thought and word side. Although a teacher by profession, I don't offer tutorials. This is my showcase of projects I like to share. So pull aside the curtains and let's begin (I'm a bit theatrical too!).

Tuesday, 14 June 2011

Hand in Glove with Grandma

As you know from my previous posts, I learned to crochet from my Gran. She in turn learned from her own mother and this was probably repeated along the generations.My own mother is a wonderful knitter, a craft I never mastered.

I thought I’d share with you some of the delicate pieces I have inherited from my Gran. She always worked with fine crochet threads and cottons and would probably have been surprised at the some of the garments I’ve produced from modern yarns.This delicate dressing table/tray cloth is now framed and hangs on my bedroom wall above the bed. A lovely reminder of my inheritance.

The colours are pale cream with a deep burgundy pink running through, worked in random-dyed thread. Here is  a close-up of some of the fine work.


Whilst sorting through a drawer in my craft cupboard I found these gloves she made. They fit me perfectly but unfortunately I have no occasion to wear them.


Here is my Gran on her wedding day in 1918, and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if some of the lace edging and trimmings on her wedding dress (and quite possibly her undergarments) were worked by her or her mother, or even one of her sisters.

My Great-grandma had four sons and six daughters (one of whom was my Gran, Edith, above), and as well as bringing them all up and running the family home, she found time to crochet and sew. So many people today say they haven’t got time to learn new handicrafts, or even pursue the ones they already have, but perhaps it’s just a matter of making a choice. I’m glad to see that crochet is having something of a renaissance at last. For more pictures of my Gran and Granddad’s wedding see Wedding Day Delay

I'm updating this and linking to Sepia Saturday where gloves are a possible theme choice. Why not give it a try?

14 comments:

  1. 10 children? Incredible that she was able to create such intricate and beautiful work, I think I'd be dead from exhaustion.

    Wonderful photo of her and your great-grandfather, I'm fascinated by old wedding photos. The flash of ankle and incredible shoes are unexpected somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lakota. Just to be clear to everybody the photo is my Grandma, not my great-grandma - I’m older than you think;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's amazing handiwork. I have some of my grandmother's pieces too. I think I'll frame them and give them to my sister. Thanks for visiting my crazy blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love a pattern for that dressing table mat...and the gloves, come to that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bit too delicate for me to attempt Jinksy, but I bet that pattern can be found somewhere on the internet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the wedding photo, Nell! My great-aunt, Clara and her sister, Sister Agnes Eucharia were both wonders with needlework. I have an antimacassar that Clara made. I have no use for it in my own decor, but I can't part with it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The crochet work is beautiful. My grandmother did lace tablecloths for all the girl's trousseaux. If her rosary wasn't running through her fingers or she wasn't handicapping horses, she was crocheting. They never wasted a minute back in those days, did they? Imagine having hand made lace work on your underclothing?...a concept hard to grasp as I sit here in my Chinese factory produced Walmart undies, less than a buck a pair. The gloves are a wonder..I can remember something like these we wore for our first communion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My grandmother could knit and crochet. She successfully taught me to knit but I could never really get the hang of crocheting, I, like you, inherited many of her pieces but I tend to use them everyday. It's a risk of course. Wine was spilled on her crocheted tablecloth last week but with lots of salt, stain remover and an afternoon in the sun, you can't see it now. I love having her work near me to remind me as you say, that it is a matter of choice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A skill shared by my grandmother as well, and my mother, but as the only son I never learned. What I most remember is my grandmother crocheting miles of 4in wide white bandages, supposedly for leper colonies. The Antimacassar shows up on chair backs and arms in so many old photos, and most were probably homemade.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm the opposite to Alex. My Nanna taught me to crochet but I could never get the hang of knitting. I have many of her's and her mother's pieces but no fabulous gloves!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I guess they didn't have the electronic diversions we have today. Even I did more crafts before I started blogging. Even while raising 6 kids. Often handwork doesn't take as much thought while you are doing it as, say blogging, which would be hard to do in the middle of raising 10 children.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That garden wedding photograph is almost identical to the one of my grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  13. One of my grandmothers used to crochet and knit a lot. I still have an afghan she crocheted when I was a child. I used it all the time for many years until it started looking like it was wearing out. I haven't done any crafts myself for about 25 years.

    ReplyDelete