Welcome to my 'other blog' the one that explores my crafty side. I have been a maker of 'things' since childhood. By nature I'm creative. I still love to write, and you can click on this link to visit my blog: Hanging On My Word, which is where I indulge in the thought and word side. Although a teacher by profession, I don't offer tutorials. This is my showcase of projects I like to share. So pull aside the curtains and let's begin (I'm a bit theatrical too!).

Tuesday, 17 May 2011

From The Heart


I decided it was time to pull out the sewing patterns I’d stashed away for the twins, and actually make something! If I didn’t get cracking they’d have grown too big. I found this sundress, which I love, and the shirt pattern.
I had some pink gingham and blue gingham cotton polyester and after much playing around with different fabrics for the contrast on the dress, I decided I’d make a pink dress and headscarf, and a blue shirt  (yes, back to the old blue for a boy theme again), but I’d use the blue gingham as the contrast fabric for hearts on the dress.

Now, the little dress was a dream to make, but I had to re-learn all my old shirt-making skills, and ended up unpicking and re-doing the collar, until I was satisfied. 

Well, I was pretty pleased with the results, though I worried that the shirt was a little short.

After stitching on the hearts, I found some pink satin ribbon and used a decorative machine-stitch to give it a lift.

The shirt has a tiny pink heart on the underside of the collar, not seen by the world at large, but linking the twins heart-to-heart. 


They fit! Great relief, when you’re hundreds of miles away and can’t try them on during the making process. I was right about the shirt though. next time I’ll make it longer. But if you want to see how  overcame the problem of children growing out of garments too quickly, see ‘Adding and Extension’.




2 comments:

  1. The twins are scrummy! And such lovely clothes. Can you come to my house and teach me? Pretty please!

    ReplyDelete